Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mourning Morning


Early mornings have been described a lot; its peace and serenity unmatched by any and yet, unfelt by many. You can hear the birds chirping, beam at the dew drops on leaves, gaze at the orange glow of the rising sun, savor the unpolluted air, feel the gentle coolness on your skin, and then; when you are just about to attain peace and reach the inner sanctum,  DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. The fragile senses are blown away by water pumps pumping from the bore wells.

Living in a sub-urban area and loving nature simply don’t go hand in hand. I have been living in this place for over thirteen years. Back then, there were a lot less buildings. I used to wake up early in the mornings, and be able to hear the sound of train through tracks from the station which was almost 4kms away. Now I can’t hear them. Buildings have become dense and air has got polluted. All I hear now, is the sound of devotional songs from less distant temples. Though I can’t get the lyrics I make out the tune. This is one thing that I have observed and loved about early mornings. These sounds remind me that I am not alone, and it does that, without disturbing the tranquility of the mornings.

Right from my childhood I have always wanted to make the most of the time when am awake. During pre-school my routine was wake up, explore, eat, explore, eat, explore, eat, sleep and then wake up to follow it again. What did I explore? I was in a village until nine. So I never had the trouble of constrained space, and always had new things to find out.

Here it’s different. Here exploring has got another name - Trespassing.

Being around the city, yes, I have acquired many new things, got to know what it is like to be in a modern society, learnt how to use the technology available as I am doing now. But getting more and more away from our natural characteristics is something that I am wary of. We are slowly reversing the cycle. We are becoming nocturnal vermins dwelling late into the nights. Trust me when I say, ‘’Early morning’’ is one of the words that today’s generation detest to the core. There is no breakfast, it is becoming brunch nowadays. When people head south, few return without visiting Kanyakumari, without seeing the sunrise. Yes, the spectacle is spectacular, but how many of us have seen sunrise from our own houses?

I am not sure how tomorrow is going to be like. Doomed like they show in the futuristic movies or a sustaining planet? For good’s sake I don’t want to know. I am content with what I have now, and always will be. I like to do things in the natural way and will continue to treasure my early mornings. Fortuitously, the ideas in this article occurred in an early morning.


Swasthika Sang

A pleasant number by the Music Maestro Ilaiyaraaja with breathtaking visuals that captures the unparalleled beauty of an Early Morning. A perk for my readers. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment