Sunday, June 18, 2023

Eyes Wide Open

----------------------

 This was written in 2020.

-----------------------



There are two things which can alter someone’s life completely. One is becoming a parent. The other is getting married. In a few months I will be completing 30 years in this world without having faced the above two things. My feelings slightly tilt towards glee rather than gloom. I have to admit that there was not a great deal of planning that went into achieving my current situation. There was a plan though. A vague plan, a conscious plan, but not a well thought out plan.

During adolescence and late teenage years when you get a sense of what relationships are all about, you kind of have a thought as to how you want your romantic and marital life to be. You will later realize that those thoughts were mostly influenced by what you saw in the movies and what you saw your peers do. The thought back then, was to get married when I would be 27 or 28. And it had to be a love marriage. That was very important. A point to be noted is that this was a time when I wasn’t even sure what or where or how my career was going to be. Long hail our Indian romantic movies where so much of an importance is given to the lead pair’s careers.

What could be the usual reasons for wanting a love marriage? It seems cool with all the conditioning from the movies, you get to understand each other, arranged marriages are old school and boring etc. Although I am not completely sure, I am fairly certain that these were part of the reasoning for myself. Also, there was a conscious one. The thing I have found fascinating about love marriages is that the most important life decision for the two persons involved is taken by those two persons. It was important for me that I take the most important decision of my life and not my parents and relatives. It was important for me that the person who was going to marry me took the most important decision of her life considering just my qualities and not the qualities of my family. If you aren’t noticing, this is where I slide in the fact that my sense of myself is a very huge Capital ‘I’.

There were years of college and there were the years of early and mid-twenties. Perfect time for my vague and not so thought out plan to have happened. A different turn of events and I would probably be writing on this subject in a different way. But here I am as a near thirty-year-old man, with a salvaged career and talking about marriage. I’m a not a believer of what-ifs. This is an opportunity to remove the ‘not-so’ from the not-so-thought-out notion I have had all these years. Let’s do that.

Life is a game which everyone has to play. There are no trials. Marriage is somewhat similar. At least we treat it that way. Marriage is a game which everyone chooses to play and then figure out if they are good at it or if it’s something not meant for them. We might tend to think that being in a relationship is a trial before marriage but I feel that the stakes aren’t real enough to give us a sense of what marriage is all about.

Anecdotally many people are not happy in a marriage but why do we keep pushing ourselves into it? Perhaps it’s the way human society legitimizes romantic relationships.

பொய்யும் வழுவும் தோன்றிய பின்னர்

ஐயர் யாத்தனர் கரணம் என்ப

The above is a reference from Tholkappiam, the oldest available Tamil literature. It means that marriage was created when lie and immorality started appearing in relationships.

There are references aplenty for love and marriage in Tamil literature but not so much for the right partner selection. It has mostly been out of love or for strategic purposes. But things are vastly different now. A good percentage of people realize the importance of finding the right partner. Its just that we either end up not defining who our right partner would be or succumb to the subtle pressures of the family.

When most of us think of a happy marriage or a happy relationship that has to win the test of time, we think of the love between the two. Love is great. Love is beautiful. Most art forms that we have created are based on the subject ‘Love’. “Love is the one thing we are capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space”, claims my favourite film maker Chris Nolan through a dialogue in the movie Interstellar. As we mostly are star-struck by the notion of love, we tend to forget that falling out of love is as much possible as falling in love.

I think love is only part of the answer. I myself stand as first hand witness to quite a few older couples having absolutely nothing but contempt for each other. It is not hard to imagine these same couple being fond of each other and full of love at the beginning of their marriages. What led them to the current scenario? What is the missing piece if they had love to begin with?

I think the missing piece is a feeling of respect. The respect I talk of is not the one that comes out of a position of knowledge or authority. It’s the appreciation that we have for someone’s judgement and sensibility. With this sense of appreciation, you won’t look down on your partner even when they do mistakes. Love for one another can bring two people together but I guess it’s the mutual respect and appreciation that keeps two people together.

Respect and appreciation are going to keep away criticism, contempt, defensiveness and stonewalling. It is these four feelings, over time, will lead to a divorce according to John Gottman. John Gottman, you must know, is famous for predicting the success of any marriage with 83% accuracy, after observing a couple in conversation just for 15 minutes.

So, what do you do? “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards”, said Benjamin Franklin. I don’t think someone can put it better than this. You have to be brutally honest to yourself as to if you are the right person for the other and vice versa. Beyond attraction and love ask yourself if you respect and appreciate the other person’s thought process. Ask yourself if the other person respects and appreciates you. I am not qualified to talk about post marriage timeframe. But I strongly feel that it is necessary to get into a marriage with a mindset to give and take. As the wise man has said keep your eyes half shut when you are married.

No comments:

Post a Comment